Monday, September 30, 2013

A Reason to Celebrate

Gary bought me the 2013 Subaru Outback on May 14, 2013. A sparkling new car with not a scratch on it and therein was the problem.  Who would put the first dent or scratch on it?  It was nerve wracking for both us.

I drove the Subaru all around Lake Superior in July but never marred the car other than  getting the filter dirty and that was replaceable.  Gary drove the car through July, August and September and still it was pristine. We both had narrow escapes when deer crossed the road, but still the car shined, especially when Gary took it for weekly visits to the car wash. Each of us hoped the other would put that first scratch in. The tension mounted.

This morning, we left the Lake Ottawa campground on our last day of hosting. I came first to get and reserve our favorite site, no. 38.  I parked the car and got out lawn chairs. There was a strong breeze but I sat at the picnic table reading while I waited for Gary to join me. The fall colors haven't reached peak here, so autumn still goes on.

Another set of campers came by and asked if we were sure we were going to camp in our prized spot. Indeed we were.They left for another part of the campground, leaving me alone in section three. Not ten minutes after, Gary arrived pulling the camper with his van.  He looked the site over and directed me to move the car to another spot. I did so.

Not five minutes later a dead branch fell off a tree and landed with a loud kerplunk on the Subaru. When we ran over to look there was a dent on the hood the size of a dime.

Huzzahs!  The first dent has been done. Gary is at fault for telling me to move the car.  I am at fault for actually moving it. Mother Nature is at fault for letting that branch fall.  Shared responsibility. Could there be any better way to take that car from new to used?

Now we can relax and enjoy our rides.


No comments:

Post a Comment