Wednesday, September 11, 2013

What to Do on a Slow Day

We had nowhere to go and nothing much to do at Lake Ottawa today.
Gary packed up his van because he's on his way south tomorrow for a couple of days leaving me here alone. Only one other campsite is filled and that is way on the other side of the campground.

I took a long walk around the campground and found myself at the fishing pier. It juts out into this 500 acre lake giving me a good view. There was one boat on the north side and that was it. At this time of year, the lake belongs to Anita (campground host), Gary and me. I sat in the sun on one of the pier benches, far away from the gulls who were enjoying the sun on the other side. We've reach a nice accommodation with the critters. We don't bother them, they don't bother us.

A flock of twelve common mergansers came floating by. It seems it would be impossible for one merganser momma to lay that many eggs, but Gary looked it up on line and found out there could be as many as thirty in a brood. They also have been known to dump eggs on each other. It also could be a creche situation, bird-sitting shared. Who knows what happened here? It could be that they are flocking in preparation for the journey south. Another of nature's mysteries.

As usual, I had no camera with me.

The wind came up this afternoon with sprinkles of rain. I sat inside the camper listening to the howling wind and thought of winter's blizzards. It isn't so far away.

I read a David Sedaris collection and laughed but also cursed out crossword puzzle I'm working on. The "sinister" collection of sudoku puzzles is no picnic either. Am I getting smarter by doing them? It certainly doesn't seem like it.

I'm waiting for a call from Kiwi Travel in Appleton.  Kay is planning my Hawaii trip for me. Come February, another place, another beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment