Thursday, September 12, 2013

Brrrrrr!

Gary went to Seymour early this morning to run various errands including picking up a mattress that he had ordered through Walmart  for the camper's little office bed. When he got there he was shown a large box, but he said it sure didn't seem to be the right size for the mattress. The clerks checked and what he had been sent was a trampoline. Even if it fit in the camper it wouldn't be much good to sleep on.

He complained loudly as only Gary can. He pointed out he had driven 150 miles to get that mattress. In the end, he got a Serta mattress the store was now stocking plus a gift certificate. I'll have very good sleeping when he returns to Lake Ottawa tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the temperature here is plummeting. I can expect frost tonight but I should be fine. There is a heater in the camper but neither of us feel it is safe to have it on all night.  I will fire it up for a couple of hours before I go to bed then figure on getting up in the middle of the night to do it again.

All the campers have left now except for me. All 500 acres of lake are mine and the loons. They are still hanging on. Campground host Anita is in her trailer so I thought I had better go check on her. She is 82. She reports the heater in her little camper works fine but shouldn't I stay for tea and a game of Scrabble?  I thought that a fine idea so we played.  I managed to win by a whisker but she does know a powerful lot of words.If she hadn't had so many vowels I would never have had a chance.

It reminded me of playing with my mother who usually won. Once when she was in the hospital for heart surgery, I thought, "Here's my chance."  I took the Scrabble board to her hospital room and we played a game. It is humiliating to report that even in Critical Care, my mother gave me a "whupping".

I think I had better start practicing if I am to stay ahead of Anita. She wants a rematch tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment