Friday, September 13, 2013

Beds

Because Gary was back in Wisconsin picking up a new bed for me, I had to sleep in his bedroom here in the camper.

I should point out for the curious that Gary and I have had separate bedrooms for years because we both snore ... loudly. It used to be that the first person to get to sleep had a sound night's rest and the other was awake through the roar from nasal passages. Separate bedrooms seemed a better idea.  So Gary has a bedroom with a double bed on one end of the camper while I have a bedroom/office with a single bed on the other end.

The problem with my twin bed was that it was made up of a thin mattress topped by a pair of couch cushions topped by a foam pad. The theory was that all of these layers would be comfortable, but instead, the whole thing sagged in the middle and flopped over on one side making it seem like I was falling out of bed. I dealt with this by positioning my hip in the crack in the center and putting an extra pillow on the side to keep me from sliding out on the floor. I never complained (much) about it because I was used to sleeping on the ground in a tent. Camping is camping, I figured.

Then Gary took a nap on my bed and asked how I could stand it.  He immediately ordered a mattress from Walmart and had it delivered in DePere since there is no Walmart near here, nor, for that matter, anyone that sold mattresses.

He packed up my old sleeping gear to stow in one of his storage units. Throw it away? He never throws anything away. He drove away with it and for that night I slept in his bed. That was when I discovered bliss. His bed held a superb mattress topped with memory foam. He had not one but two soft quilts.When I closed the door to the room, I stayed warm the entire night in spite of temperatures near freezing. My office/bedroom is in a slide that means cold on three walls, ceiling and floor. It is lighter, too, in the mornings, so after 6:00 am I cannot sleep at all.

I slept wonderfully on his double bed. When Gary returned with my replacement mattress, I suggested the new one was so nice he should sleep on that. I would bite the bullet and continue to sleep on his bed.

Before the afternoon was over, he said he had to take a nap and went into his bedroom for two hours, thereby marking his territory. I am thus relegated to my old room.

If I find that no longer suits me, I will join him in his bed and drive him out with some loud zzzzzzzzzzzz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment