Saturday, August 3, 2013

Around Lost Lake

This morning a brisk breeze kept flying insects away. Time to get out and about. I worked my way around exposed roots and fallen hemlocks as I circumnavigated Lost Lake. It was the first forest hike since Laura Lake in June.

(There were no hikes in Canada, the weather never allowed it. The best I could do was stroll along the various beaches as I watched storm clouds approach after I had packed up the tent. In ten minutes, raindrops started and I was back in the Subaru.)

Trees had come down at Lost Lake since I was here a year ago, but the forest service chainsaws keep the trails clear. The centuries old hemlock forest is still mostly intact. Over a decade ago, a windstorm blew down some of the giants. Gary and I counted the rings on one and realized it had begun life during the French and Indian War when George Washington was a inexperienced young officer.


I could hear the loon calling and somewhere a woodpecker was whacking away at a hollow tree, but there seem to be few animals about … or so I thought until I reached the blackberry bushes and found them stripped. That could be a bear, I thought, though deer will eat berries, too. Ranger Bob told us yesterday that the only bear the forest service has seen lately was a young male in the spring.

There are fungi such as the hoof fome.  Someone had whacked away at some of it, but there were some nice displays.


I met a family of three with baskets and told them the berries were gone. They might as well go over to Chipmunk Rapids trail where there are more bushes. Those were the only folks I saw on the trail. There are twenty-one campsites filled out of twenty-seven, but most campers sit around on lawn chairs eating and drinking while their children play in the water. I don't mind at all if they leave the woods to me.

As I got to the boat landing, I met one fellow obviously not from these parts. He was carrying a camera and wanted to know if I had seen any moose along the trail. Some moose recently wandered into Wisconsin from Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but none are here at Lost Lake as far as I know. Further, his chances of seeing moose in broad daylight … well, he could forget that. To make him feel better, I told him I hadn't seen a moose in seven trips to Canada.

He said he had been at Clam Lake earlier to photograph the elk, but had no luck there either. He seemed to be disgruntled that animals don't present themselves for their portraits. He should stick to zoos and Disneyland.

We have one wary chipmunk at camp.  He waits until after dark before coming for the peanuts I leave out. At Laura Lake at this time of year there are chipmunks all over the place and they are so tame they will sit on your lap. This little guy doesn't want to be anywhere near us so I wonder if campers have been persecuting him.  There is something else to consider:  Laura Lake campsites are surrounded by bushes so there are plenty of hiding places.  The area here is filled with wild grasses and not very tall either.  No job security for chipmunks here. 

Tonight steaks on the grill.  We're having autumn temperatures, but I love autumn so I don't mind at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment