Sunday, August 4, 2013

Critter Report from Lost Lake

Critter Report:

No bears have been reported in the area since the spring. I may take the hike to Chipmunk Rapids tomorrow to see what is happening in the blackberry bushes.  Or am I asking for trouble? 

We usually see black backed woodpeckers around campsites 23 and 24 but so far, no luck. I did hear a faint tapping near the Assessor's Tree, but couldn't pin that woodpecker down.  Hairy, downy and pileated woodpeckers work the trees around here, too. 

I was walking in the woods this afternoon when a young deer, just past fawn hood I thought, posed for me. She never moved at all, just followed me with her eyes.  I made no attempt to go toward her, but took a photo with my cell phone. Later I found out that while I could have sent it, I couldn't transfer the picture to my computer. 

Laura Lake is practically swarming with chipmunks but there seems to be only one around our campsite. I've only seen it twice. I put out peanuts for him, but he gathers them when we are gone or at night. What fun is putting out peanuts when I can't see cuteness in stripes and fat cheeks? 

Over the weekend, twenty-one of the twenty-seven campsites were occupied.  Many of the campers had dogs.  Usually when there are dogs in a campground, there is constant barking, but these dogs were extremely well behaved.  A pair of Dobermans were on site 9.  When I walked bye, they came out to take a look but their master said, "Sit" and they immediately stopped.  Gordon sat down but Sam stood in place. Their owner said they were both rescue dogs that needed a lot of work.  Sam still had not gotten the concept of "Sit" but he was learning.  

A black Labrador retriever escaped and showed up at campsite 25 still dragging his leash. A camper took him on a tour of the campground asking everyone if he belonged to them. The lab had that goofy lab grin as if to say, "Look at all the neat people I'm meeting!"  He'll be off and running again soon.  Labs are like that. 

And still no moose.  




No comments:

Post a Comment