Friday, August 2, 2013

Searching

I posted my latest short story "Library Column" at Black Coffee Fiction  http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com today but it wasn't easy.  It seemed during my entire tour last month I was searching for a hot spot and it is the same now that we are camping at Lost Lake.  Though the story was essentially done by 10:00 a.m. I wasn't able to post it until 2:00 when we drove into Iron River. We can always get on line at Angeli's Supermarket. That doesn't solve the problem though, since we can hardly drive 25 minutes every day for wi fi.

While we were in Iron River we went to the St. Vincent de Paul re-sale shop. I didn't bring enough pants since I thought I might have to leave earlier.  Now I won't be home until just before BurgerFest.  I found a pair of green tag pants for 10 cents. They fit, too.

Finally, I went on the ultimate quest:  the search for the perfect ice cream cone.  I knew exactly where to find it, at the Happy Trails Trading Post, only two blocks south of US Highway 2 on Highway 189.  The problem was getting there.  Highway 189 is under construction all the way to Highway 2.  The front of Happy Trails is closed off.  We didn't let that us deter us.  We circled around the construction and wandered until we found the back of the trading post. A sidewalk is under construction there, too, but by carefully working around that, we found the door.  I went through and went directly to the ice cream case for the ultimate chocolate:  Zanzibar made by Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream.  I got two cones, one for me and one for Gary. This is hand scooped ice cream but so smooth it is almost custard.

The only thing about Zanzibar is that it melts so fast.  Before I could finish my cone, rivulets of dark chocolate dribbled down the front of my good jacket. The stains will never come out.  However, I bought that jacket for 50 cents at a rummage sale.  Surely another jacket is out there waiting for me at a thrift shop or yard sale.  The search is on.




No comments:

Post a Comment