Thursday, August 1, 2013

Lost Lake Site 24

The beginning of this camping trip was auspicious. As I drove west of Seymour on County Highway G I spotted a flock of birds. I pulled over and counted 41 pelicans. They might be part of those I've heard were fishing on the Fox River and Lake Michigan at Green Bay. They seemed to be heading to Shiocton's Van Patten Road. If that is so, my local readers may want to go take a look.

Gary was here at Lost Lake before me setting up at site 24. Those who followed my tour in July can see the difference between my little pop up tent and what Gary has here. Besides the camper, there's a cook tent over the picnic table. I think we have eight folding chairs. Four are around the fire pit, two will be down at the beach and I'm not sure what the other two are four. There's a tent over the generator. The solar panels are in place. He will continue to set up for the next few days.


All this for the two of us.

While Gary was setting up, I took a look at the lake. We've been coming to Lost Lake for years. We've seen the lake levels go down, down, down. We thought it was the drought but this year's heavy rain should have made a difference. It didn't. The green grass here used to be a beach.

Gary went to Chipmunk Rapids to fill the four five gallon water jugs at the artesian well. This used to be a speedy process but he was gone a long time. When he returned, he reported that the people ahead of him had many containers that had to be filled. Then he found out that it took seven minutes for each of his jugs. It used to be two minutes each. The low water here at Lost Lake affects the well.

The grasses are a boon to the loon family. There are more and more places for them to hide their nest as the grasses expand.



No comments:

Post a Comment