Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Catching Up

This and that:

-- Yesterday, I reached a milestone in my imaginary walk around the world:  19,000 miles.  One foot after another year in, year out.  Eventually those miles add up.  At this point I am 109 miles from Zurich, Switzerland. I figure I will finish my trip around the world by the time I am 75 years old. 

--  Today, my vanity plates arrived.  Gary's read "Mathom 1".  Mine read:

--  Seymour's Farmers' Market today and Susan, Colette and I were at the local writers' tent. Colette sold a book and that was it.  One woman told me that she loved my romance novel and had shared it with two friends.  I've been learning that a handful of copies are circulating around Seymour.  I won't get rich that way! We'll be back but it will be weather dependent.  

--  Gary and I will be going north on Thursday to camp at Lost Lake.  

******
I finished checking out the finances on the Circle Trip.

My estimate for gas was $275.00 . I paid $276.94, only $1.94 more than the estimate.  I would have been better but because of the rain, I spent less time hiking and more time driving around.  

My estimate for housing was $400.00.  I paid $425.39, or $25.39 more than my estimate.  Because of heat, rain and the twin ships arrival messing up camping plans, I spent two nights in motels and one day in a camper cabin. 

I had figured $100 for food but instead spent $154.19. Because of rain, I couldn't cook as many meals as I wanted.  I almost always managed a breakfast of oatmeal and a piece of fruit at the campground, but lunches and suppers were in restaurants.  I often had to write my blog at those restaurants unless I could find libraries, visitor centres or municipal centers with wi fi.   In a sense that $54.19 over budget was OK because I would have spent at least $50 if I were home on food anyhow. 

It was the miscellaneous items that took me way over the top.  Things like laundry, a book for Evan, a tee-shirt for Gary, postcards and so on cost me $55.21.

I earned $808 and figured I spent (deducting the $50 I would have spent on food anyhow) $861.73.  I had taken the trip around Lake Superior for $53.73.  If the weather had been workable, I would have made a small profit.


No comments:

Post a Comment