Saturday, June 1, 2013

Third Day of Camping - Osprey and Mozzies

The mosquitoes come and go here at Laura Lake. If a breeze comes up, they disappear. When the breeze disappears, mozzies (the Australian term) appear. The trick is to get out and walk around when conditions are right. If I walk down the middle of the camp roads, they don't bother me at all. I managed a nice hike down to the boat landing where I circled around to the lake and back. Two loons popped up right beside the spot where Gary moors his canoe.

For the past decade, Gary and I have had mosquito-less summers. The north woods has been in drought, keeping the bugs away. There have been times when Seymour had a week or so of mosquitoes, but I've never been around then, but off on a tour somewhere.

Gary and I agree that mosquitoes are a sign of a healthy rain forest so we don't complain. The chance of a forest fire is almost nil this year and the birds are pretty happy chowing down.

The rain is keeping campers away so we have this section to ourselves. Only four of the forty two campsites are filled this weekend.

Before the rain started up again, we walked over to the blueberry bog at Gordon Lake. The blueberry bushes are in bloom. By the end of the month there will be a fine crop. We checked on the osprey nest and sure enough, they are in residence. 

Gary has fallen in love with the Subaru and suggested I could take a bus home instead. I think he is kidding. When I drove up here, I found out that on the open road I get over 33 miles per gallon.  I should be able to fill the gas tank just once in Canada since I can drive 500 miles on one tank. 

Tonight we took a short drive to check things out. We found a tree down, half covering the road and blocking the exit from the campground. We wonder about flooding. I must return to Seymour tomorrow so we hope the road crews are out with their chain saws soon. If I take Wozniak Road to Highway 8 I should be OK.


We are snug in our camper, reading and watching television. We await developments.  

No comments:

Post a Comment