Sunday, May 26, 2013

Currently Reading

Time to bring my readers up to date on what I am reading.

Sparky Rucker, folksinger, posted on Facebook the welcome information that Walter Mosley has just put out another Easy Rawlins mystery, Little Green.  I immediately put a hold on it at the Muehl Public Library but found out in doing so that I missed one in the series, Blonde Faith.  I quickly got that one as a digital book and just finished reading it. Now I can't wait for Little Green (all the Easy Rawlins books have colors in the titles) to find out what happened to Easy when he drove his car off a cliff after making sure his children would be taken care of.

I suspect Mosley was trying to kill off Easy, much like Arthur Conan Doyle tried to kill off Sherlock Holmes only to have him return from the dead a few years later.  It didn't work for Mosley either because Easy is back.  I am the next in line for Little Green so I expect to be picking it up at the library some time next week.

I'm midway through Sister Queens, by Julia Fox, about Isabella, Queen of Spain, and her daughters who became queens in their own right. One of them was Katherine of Aragon, who was Henry VIII's first wife.  Keeping track of royal marriages throughout Europe is difficult. I expect all the intermarriages had something to do with Katherine's problem pregnancies.  Lack of a male heir led Henry to divorce Katherine for Ann Boleyn and the beginning of his string of six wives.

Finally, I'm working on The Long Earth, by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter.  I don't expect great things from the book.  Terry Pratchett wrote great satire but he is currently suffering from Alzheimer disease. He cannot read and can only write by dictation. Now he has turned to co-authors. Still, I will work my way through The Long Earth because a little Pratchett is better than none.

I have stacks of books purchased at rummage and library sales.  These will be placed in the camper before we start our camping season on Thursday. Long summer days beside Wisconsin lakes would be no good without books to read.

So many books, so little time.  I wonder what books my readers would recommend.









No comments:

Post a Comment