Monday, May 27, 2013

Trails Ahead

It's a holiday here in the United States but not in Canada, so this morning I began to get replies from libraries and senior residences in Ontario about my summer tour. 

I already had agreements with most of the libraries since the summer reading program is set up during the winter, but  at this point in my planning I am firming up my itinerary on the computer with the names, contacts, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses set out along with dates and times. I double check my information with the librarians and this week I am being reassured my itinerary is correct. 

In the two months before the tour, I add in nursing homes and senior residences.  They don't pay as much and activity directors don't plan months ahead so now is the time I contact them by e-mail, using Google searches to locate them along the highway I intend to drive. 

By tonight I had enough work to break even on the trip. By June 10th, I will be done with the process. I will add the final bookings.  I expect to make a profit which is lovely considering I get a summer trip out of it.  

I am already turning my attention to October and the National Storytelling Festival in October. Once I've worked out the route I want to take, I'll start working on bookings.  I need to have those sewed up by the end of August. 

And where should I go this winter?  Gary at first thought we would be headed to New Zealand but decided we would wait a year on that one until the final probate of his aunt's will.  That won't happen until spring of 2014.  I still want to travel south in January and/or February so I am thinking about destinations.  

I am up for suggestions.   





 


No comments:

Post a Comment