Sunday, June 30, 2013

Coping

It's a beautiful summer day, balmy breezes blowing in a just right temperature. I should be walking and gardening, but here I am with a foot elevated, iced and compressed. It is much improved, but I'm taking no chances since I am leaving on tour in two weeks. One more day and I'll try a short walk.  Meanwhile there was a limited yoga session for exercise.

On a day like this you re-discover that there is almost nothing worth watching on television, so I sat on the back deck to read Justice Sonja Sotomayer's memoir, My Beloved World.  I've read many autobiographies, but Sotomayer's is one of the most readable. Hers has been a remarkable life.  She rose from a Bronx walk up infested with cockroaches in a Puerto Rican neighborhood and went on to attend Princeton University.  Like Clarence Thomas, she was an affirmative action student.  Unlike Thomas, she acknowledges that and voted accordingly in this year's Supreme Court decision.  She went on to be an attorney and then a judge, which is where she ends the book.

Later, I caught up on office work, sending e-mails to various storytelling venues.

I took a nap.

I worked on texting for a while, learning how to punctuate.  I printed out eight pages of texting lingo and began trying out those shorthand phrases on Gary in Illinois.

Meanwhile, my BF Norma sent me a PIC from Chicago's Gay Pride Parade.

I wished I was there instead of here with my foot on the desk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment