Thursday, July 4, 2013

Maps and Directions

Today, I took time to print out the maps for the tour.

Gary installed a GPS in the car, but I doubt I will use it. I don't like taking my eyes off the road and the GPS voice is annoying. I've always wondered why men who object to a woman "backseat driving" let a computer tell them where to go.

Sometimes I get instructions from librarians or activity directors but if they leave out one little turn, I can be sent miles out of the way. A few years back I was sent on a "shortcut" and wound up tooling through a four way stop sign.  The sign was hidden by shrubbery until the last minute. I got into a fender bender but lucky for me, there was no performance that day.  Repairs were made and I was on my way.

Instead of instructions, I print out maps from Mapquest.com.  I've heard that the maps are not always accurate but then neither is GPS. I've never had a problem with the maps.

Before I set out each morning, I check the maps and plan out the day.  You would think that I wouldn't need maps for little towns like Pickford, Michigan, but I never am sure where the library will be. It might be in a shopping mall, in a city hall, or what looks like a private residence. No two libraries are alike.

The same is true of senior residences.  I've seen enormous structures that hold several hundred residents and homey little buildings that hold a dozen.  The maps take me where I want to go.

Finally, I made up an invoice for each performance.  Sometimes these aren't needed, but I have to be ready because sometimes I will have to move quickly between venues.  I don't want to be held up typing an invoice on the library's computer.

One order of books has arrived. Another should be here in a week.

All that's left to do is the final packing on Thursday and Friday next week.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment