Monday, July 1, 2013

Getting Better

I tried walking today but the pain in my foot was still there. I figured I would spend another day resting, but remembered I had to go to DePere to pick up a folding table for tomorrow's farmers' market.  Last week I only had a small card table to display my books.  I've wanted a larger table for decades and today I picked it up at a Menards sale.I was limping when I came back to the car.

I looked across the parking lot to the Dollar Tree and decided I needed two things: a pair of flip-flops, because shoes were simply too painful to wear,and an ankle support, which I thought I could put on the opposite way so it compressed the top of my foot.  I put them on right away and experienced immediate relief.

Back in Seymour, I managed to walk a mile and later worked in the garden.

The peonies are done now so I am deadheading the old flowers, converting the plants back to shrubs. It is now lily time. These are the first.
The hydrangea is in flower. It began with a little plant given to me by an old woman who was 93 at the time and very near the end of her time on earth. Gardens a form of immortality if we share our perennials. It is now huge, as tall as me and filling in the bed nicely.
Gary and I found a dying spirea bush in the city dump one a dozen or so years ago.  Its roots had become tangled in a burlap bag and wire. We carefully cut away the bag and wire until we loosened the roots.  I plopped it in the ground and it took off.
I have another spirea the same size that I found at the Shiocton citywide rummage sale. It was the size of a fist. I bought it at the end of the day for a quarter.   

I've never had much money for my garden but with a little ingenuity and sharing with friends, I've built an enormous collection.  The weeds are taking over with our spring rain but I will continue to fight them until I leave on July 13.  Then the gardens are on their own.  

No comments:

Post a Comment