Friday, July 5, 2013

Size 11

The pain in my foot is over but I had to face the fact that I had discovered the culprit.  My shoes were too small.

With age, my feet have gotten bigger.  In high school, my shoe size was 8.  By the time Chris was born, I was up to size 9.  As I became a senior citizen, I reached size 10.  I thought that would be the end of their growth so I kept investing in size 10's.

I never spent all that much.  I bought inexpensive shoes bought on sale, sometimes even at rummage sales.  I watched for bargains because this walker wears them out so quickly.  I figure six month a pair so I wanted some in reserve.

Last week, I wore my last 9-1/2 pair.  Even with thin socks, I wound up with a very sore foot.  After three days of rest, ice, compression and elevation, the problem was mostly solved...until I put on a pair of size 10's. The pain began again. I dug out a pair of size 11's that I wore with heavy wool socks in the winter. Heavenly relief.

I have three pairs of size 11 sports shoes but nothing dressy.  Before I leave on tour next week, I need to shop for some larger dress shoes.  This afternoon, Tisha got me a coupon for shoes that are already on sale.

I'm not vain.  Having big feet doesn't bother me at well.  But I am so loathe to pack up sixteen pairs of shoes and take them to Goodwill.

What must be done will be done.

*************

This afternoon, Wade posted the conclusion to his short story "Planned Obsolescence" at Black Coffee Fiction:   http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com/2013/07/planned-obsolescence-part-two.html

I know we all wanted to know how that one turned out!

My turn is next week.  I think it will be another of the Glen Valley Chronicles. I am very fond of that little community.


No comments:

Post a Comment