Saturday, June 29, 2013

Ouch!

I've been at home most of the day with a foot that's been sore for three days.  I walked a mile this morning and this time it was really painful.  When I got home I took off my shoe and sock and finally took a good look.  The top of my right foot was swollen and warm. Not good.

Gary, in Illinois, diagnosed it as gout (both he and and his father had gout attacks), but I don't think so. The area is not red or hot, just warm.  I wore a pair of shoes that rubbed that area  for a couple of day. I think time will take care of the problem.

Either way, the treatment is RICE:  rest, ice, compression, elevation.  And that's what I'm doing.  It means I am stuck here in the house for a while, but because of that I am getting things done on projects that have been here on my desk for too long.

-----
One of the projects is re-learning to text.  I first learned about texting years ago when I visited New Zealand. Everyone there was texting even older people yet it was new to Wisconsin then. I came home and learned how to text.  Then I discovered I didn't know anyone here who texted. I gave up on it.

Later, my cell phone was going down hill, with the keys not hitting properly, so that I got doubles on numbers when I dialed. It meant re-dialing when I tried to make phone calls and made texting impossible.

A couple of weeks ago, Gary got me a new cell phone and told me to learn how to text.  Sitting here with an ice pack on an elevated foot meant time...and so I re-learned to text.  It was not difficult though I don't know the lingo. I doubt I will ever use "u" for "you" or "r" for "are" and some phrases like LOL are too trite for me, but I expect BTW could be useful.

Now I have to discover how many people I know that text. So far there are only three on my list but I expect it will grow.

---
Wade Peterson posted the first half of his story at Black Coffee Fiction. http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com/2013/06/planned-obsolescence-part-1.html

Every so often Betty, Wade or I write a story too long for our goal of 3,000 words so we have to split it into two parts.  Betty and I both had that happen within the last few months, now it is Wade's turn.  He returned to his favorite sci-fi genre in "Planned Obsolescence".  Part 2 will be on the blog on July 5.

It means that I won't need to have a story until July 12, the day before I leave. That works out perfectly for me.  Otherwise, I would have had to write a story on July 26, the day I come back from the Circle Tour.




No comments:

Post a Comment