Thursday, March 7, 2013

Walking and Writing

Now that spring is on the way, moderate temperatures are here in Seymour.  For the past two days, I've taken my walk without my winter coat, snowmobile gloves, and boots.  There are still a few ice patches and where those have melted, puddles, but I can still walk on the sidewalks with only a few jumps over the bad patches.

Through February's snow and cold, I only managed to walk four or five miles per week.  Last week it was twelve miles and I should make it to around twenty this week.

While I walk I listen to the male cardinals establishing their territories. To drive them crazy, I answer.

I stop at the library to look at the snowdrops, drop in at Sissy's to have ice cream.

Above all, I am writing. I have a story due tomorrow at Black Coffee Fiction. I am a professional storyteller so I know how to put together a story line. I kept walking. Once I had the outline, I thought about characters.  I used to do community theatre so I know how to get into character.  Today I entered the mind of a deputy sheriff about to have an encounter with an old woman. I made it to Highway 54 and kept going.

I needed place, too, so I thought about that farmhouse Gary is staying in in Illinois. I can describe that so it will be added to the story.

By the time I finished my three mile walk, I had the story firmly in my head.  I came home to rough it out.  First thing tomorrow I go into what I call "the zone".  When I am there, the office disappears and I go into another reality. In only an hour, the story will be typed out.  Then some editing and by 4:00 pm the story will be posted at Black Coffee Fiction.

Check it out the results at http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment