Friday, January 4, 2013

Stories

This afternoon, I posted my latest short story is at Black Coffee Fiction http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com

It's a story about two topics about which I know nothing:  gourmet cooking and football.  I wrote it by researching and asking the help of friends who were experts in one or both of those fields.  One doesn't need to know anything to be a writer.  It is always a matter of research.

It helps to have Wade Peterson as my cohort in writing these short stories.  Wade is an excellent cook, a brew master, and a football fan. He helped me through.

Wade is the deep thinker in our partnership.  While I blithely write silly love stories, he works at his craft with a serious intensity.  He writes about his work in his own blog.  This week he turned to the subject of violence in his writing: when to use it and when to cut it out.  http://wadepeterson.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/what-i-learned-from-quentin-tarantino-about-writing/

I'm opposed to censorship, but each of us as writers need to think about what we're doing with our words.  When I taught a writing to some middle schoolers, I found that boys wrote stories about violence, gore, nastiness and more violence, gore and nastiness. I explained to them the idea of building up tension.  Violence for violence sake was simply boring.  They thought about it and came up with an a great story.  I re-read it just this afternoon and still found it imaginative and funny.

On another writing problem, I've spent much of the past two days trying to re-do the romance novel I self-published two years ago at Amazon.com. Somewhere along the line, my account disappeared.  I can't make corrections to the story until I find it.  The problem is that I cannot talk to anyone by phone.  The answers I am sent by Kindle Direct Publishing are of no help whatsoever despite them writing "we're dedicated to providing the best customer service possible via email."  The KDP team tells me how to make the changes but that is contingent on my account being somewhere on line and it doesn't seem to be.

I want to publish the book as a paper back in time for  Valentine's Day book signing but if that impasse continues beyond next Monday, I won't have time to get the work done.

So I scream at the computer, send e-mails to KDP and wait to see what happens.  


No comments:

Post a Comment