Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year!

Years ago, back in the 1970s, I was in a fancy Chicago club on New Year's Eve with a date.  The star attraction was Cher post-Sonny, pre-Moonlighting. I looked around me.  Everyone was obnoxiously drunk...and I wasn't. I had a drink now and then but never got tipsy. That's a terrible situation to be in. The drinkers were noisy and nasty.  I looked at Cher and could tell she wasn't having a good time either, struggling to be heard over the nightclub roar.

That was the day I decided New Year's Eve was not for me.  Since then I've made a point of staying home to get organized for the New Year instead of going out.

Today, I've set up a tax folder, put the 2012 photos and memorabilia in my scrapbook, set up my budget and goals for 2013.  Car maintenance dates and birthdays are on my new calendar.  I answered e-mails from months ago.  I wrote thank you notes.  I paid a couple of bills.  I laid out the tour dates for my Gulf tour.

As I approach midnight, I've finished everything  on my list.  Feels good.

Tomorrow, a new list.  I plan to clear the bulletin board, go through the filing cabinets and throw out old files. I'll plant the first forced daffodils for my indoor garden and set up a planting schedule.  I'll go through computer documents and delete old ones.  I'll save others on CDs.

So no hangover for me, just a great start to 2013.


No comments:

Post a Comment