Sunday, December 30, 2012

Books

I watched another Bill Moyers program tonight on public television.  I admire Moyers for his intelligence and his grasp of the political world, but even more I admire him as an interviewer. Tonight, his subject was Junot Diaz, Pulitizer wining novelist, teacher and winner of the McArthur genius award. I was so impressed with the man, I went right to the library website to order his three books, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, Drown, and his latest This is How You Lose Her.

It's always that way with Bill Moyers and with that other great interviewer Jon Stewart on Comedy Central's Daily Show.  Both of them read the books before they interview the authors. They ask brilliant questions that draw out even the shyest of interviewees.

Between them they introduce me to authors and books from around the world.  Not for these two the best selling novels, they select interesting subjects with something to say. I listen then go directly to the library website and order the books. Too many books.  Sometimes I can't finish them all, just get a taste.

One of the writers interviewed by both Moyers and Stewart was Doris Kearns Goodwin, Pulitzer prize historian who wrote Team of Rivals, the basis for the new movie by Steven Spielberg:  Lincoln.  

I've wanted to read Goodwin's book, but when there are waiting lists, and when the book is eight hundred pages of history long and with me so busy with other things, it didn't seem possible to get it done in the shortened loan period.

But to my surprise, I won Team of Rivals at the library Christmas raffle. Now I am working my way through the book.  It may take time, but the book is brilliant. I taught history and know a great deal about the Civil War, but Goodwin has done research and used sources none of the other biographers have touched.
I am so glad to have the book.














No comments:

Post a Comment