Friday, January 11, 2013

Rainy Day Christmas Take Down

Here we are in January and instead of snow, we have rain, given to us by warming temperatures.  This is not good news for the farmers.  The orchards of Door County suffered from the unusual weather last year. The cherry and apple crops were terrible. We couldn't even take my grandson apple picking which was our yearly tradition.

But there was nothing I could do about the rain today except adapt. I stayed inside and worked on getting my book into shape. I have the cover done but still have four problems with the interior of the book.  I'll work it out sooner or later.

When the rain let up, I went to the cemetery to see about retrieving the wreath and candle I placed there at Christmas. Usually at this time of year they would be frozen solidly in the ground or even covered in snow. Not today.  They pulled right out.

When I got home I wondered about the fake poinsettias in the planters out front.  In most years, they would be frozen in place until late March but today I could pull half of them out. With warm weather forecast again for tomorrow, I'll finish that job.  The six little Christmas trees will come out, too.

Inside the house, I worked on packing up all the Christmas decorations for another year. The problem is the  big tree.  I dismantled it, placing the boughs into two big bags.  The bags are too heavy for me to move. They are in the corner of the dining room where they will have to stay until Gary returns here from Illinois, probably in mid-February.  We old codgers will drag them up together.

He called this afternoon to tell me his Aunt Shirley is not doing well.  She is suffering from seizures, and no one seems to know what is causing them. He visits her every day in the nursing home, but she is disoriented with memory lapses.  I will see him in another ten days on my way down to Mississippi.

Meanwhile there is rain, both here and in Illinois.  We could use some sun.

-----------------
Bettyann Moore posted her latest short story.  As Wade points out, people with insomnia should read it and be happy it isn't something worse.  Read it at Black Coffee Fiction  http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment