Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Mississippi camping

Today I turned my attention from writing to storytelling.  I'm leaving for the Mississippi tour in nine days so I have to get ready.

I pulled out my camping gear from under the desk.  Yes, I do plan on camping once I get into Mississippi.  I checked Accuweather to see what I can expect once I get into Mississippi.  It will be warm enough during the day, but cool at night.  As long as the temperatures are above freezing, I should be OK.  I'll have a warm sleeping bag and a second bag to throw over that.  I have fleece sleepwear, woolen socks and a knit hat.  No slinky negligees for me!  I'll fill my hot water bottle and heat up the sleeping bag before I climb into it.

I'll make some nice herbal tea before I go to sleep to get my body temperature warm and fill a thermos with hot water before I go to bed to sip on in the middle of the night.

Using these same procedures, I once camped comfortably in my tent in the Rocky Mountains.  The water bottles froze solids but I stayed toasty warm.

In the morning, I'll turn on my little camp stove and boil water in my kettle for oatmeal and cappuccino before I take down my tent and move to the next location.

There's a little lantern and a flashlight, a pan, a spoon, and Chinese pot scraper. I don't really need much beyond that.  I have breakfast at the campsite, soup or salad at a fast food restaurant, and something from a deli for supper.  Anything I cook must be dried in a packet.  I don't like to have any food around my tent to avoid critters. Here in Wisconsin it would be bears or raccoon but in Mississippi I have to worry about alligators. All my cooking gear fits into a plastic orange crate.  

The tent and a canvas chair are already in the car.  I still have to pull the inflatable mattress from under the bed.  The chair and the inflatable mattress are my two concessions to age.

Tomorrow, I'll finish working on the itinerary, working out the miles between performances and campgrounds.  




No comments:

Post a Comment