Friday, January 18, 2013

Books

We had some snow this morning, not a lot and I could have left it alone since it will probably melt tomorrow, but I was restless.  Waiting to see how things work out in so many arenas was getting on my nerves. I want some things settled before I leave.

So I grabbed a shovel and cleared the sidewalks and driveway.  I was just finishing when the mail carrier showed up and bless her heart, she had a box for me.  It was the proof copy of the novel.

I brought it inside and immediately admired it.


It's an attractive cover, but how about the interior.  First I looked at the margins.  I managed to get them right on. How about the pages?  Again, perfect.   Everything is structurally right.  Now I have to read the thing for mistakes, typos and logic.  So far, so good.  I've gone over the first three chapters.  I found one "a" was missing in a sentence and a little centering error on a paragraph.  That's not bad and if the rest of the book is like that, I won't have to make any corrections and order another proof. I'll finish the proofing tomorrow.  I'm hoping I can go ahead and place it in Amazon.com and have some copies sent to me in Dixon.  The time frame seems about right.

I first began the book in the 1980's. I typed the first two drafts on a typewriter.  The third was on a Kaypro computer, storing it on those big disks.  The fourth was on the smaller floppy disk.  The fifth and final edits were on this computer.

After all these re-writes, I confess I am thoroughly sick of this book.

I went down to the library to pick up a book and show off this one.  There I found Black Coffee Fiction sitting on a book shelf.

Readers can now check the book out.  We are listed in the library district's catalog.  Slowly, we are gaining our readership.

So I sit and re-read Yesterday's Secrets, Tomorrow's Promises one more time.  Then it's on to other things.


No comments:

Post a Comment