Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Christmas Lights

Not only had I never set up the Christmas tree before, I hadn't put lights on a Christmas tree in years.  That was Gary's job.  Once he was finished, I put on the ornaments.

I managed to put the tree up before I left for Illinois, with only one branch left over.  Today was light time.

The red lights I used for years finally finally stopped working a year ago. I bought replacement lights in January at an end of the year clearance.  It was a great deal at 50 cents a box.  However, when I opened the box, I found out the wires were white instead of green and were meant to be used outdoors.

I rummaged around and found two more boxes of clear lights. They weren't red, but the wires were green. I would adapt.  I tested the lights to make sure they worked and set to work.  The tree is seven feet tall so I got a step ladder.  I started winding them around and around the tree until I got to the bottom boughs.  Then I plugged in the lights to see the full affect.  Half of the top lights didn't work. I had tested them!  No matter what I did, I couldn't find the problem.

I went to the hardware store to get more lights but they were out of clear ones.  So I began to shop.  It was the third store before I found a string of lights that would work.

Back home, I had to remove the top string, move the second string up, then add the final string on the bottom. Then I moved the lights around and until they were evenly spaced.  Then I plugged them in and hallelujah! they worked.

The project took almost all day.  I'll put the ornaments on tomorrow.   

No comments:

Post a Comment