Saturday, December 1, 2012

Dixon conversation

Years ago at some family gathering, my relatives were talking about people they knew and how they were related to so and so and what happened to somebody's children, and on and on.

My sister-in-law suddenly got up to leave.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"Oh," she said, "it's just another Seymour conversation." She is not from Seymour and didn't know what they were talking about, and didn't care.

Today, I knew just what she meant.

Gary and I visited his 92 year old aunt at the nursing home.  We took along the Dixon newspaper.  She immediately turned to the obituaries and commented on the people she knew, how they were connected to her family, where they lived, what they did for a living, and how their children turned out.

My eyes glazed over.

Later, we visited Gary's cousin Donna, now in her 70's.  She talked about a friend who is in an assisted living facility that Gary's aunt might like, but that led to the friend's daughter and how she is related to Gary's family and what her children are doing and so on.

My eyes glazed over.

These were Dixon conversations, impossible for an outsider like me to follow.

It makes me realize that while I don't mind visiting Dixon, at my age I don't want to start over in a new state. So for the time being, Gary and I will be living in separate places, visiting each other whenever we can and waiting for the situation down here to resolve itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment