Thursday, November 29, 2012

Christmas Trees

Gary asked me to come to Dixon, Illinois to keep him company.  He's living alone in the family farmhouse and visiting his aunt daily at the nursing home. He's been there for three weeks and I think he is getting lonely...and bored.  I'll drive there tomorrow.

So I had to get busy. I had all the Christmas decorations in the dining room. I needed to clear the room so Elaine can come in to check on Rascal, but I didn't want to take all the boxes back to the storage area upstairs.  It would be better to put everything up and be done with it.

Today I put the last Christmas tree together.  I say put together because I am allergic to conifers so have to have a fake tree. This is a big tree that takes up almost a eighth of the dining room, but I need a big tree for the ornaments I've accumulated over the years. Gary has always constructed the thing but with him gone, I had to figure it out myself.  I think I did OK except for having one branch left over. That was in the back of  the tree so I'm not going to start over.


The lights and ornaments will have to wait until I get back from Illinois. When I looked at the strings I bought for 90 percent off last year after Christmas, they turned out to be white lights and I wanted red.  I have some red lights from previous years but some don't work, so I have to do some bulb swapping.

I already have some other Christmas trees inside and some outside, too. All told there are eleven trees.

Gary's little tree has been up for almost a week. It's the one that belonged to his father. That one glows satisfactorily in the evenings.  Because it is dark when I get up I turn it on so the school children have something pretty to look at on a cold morning.

When I get to Illinois, I think we need to find a little Christmas tree for Aunt Shirley.




No comments:

Post a Comment