Monday, November 26, 2012

Bad Luck

Because Gary is still in Illinois, I decided I would have to decorate the house for Christmas by myself.  That means crawling into the cubby hole to drag out the trees, lights and ornaments. The first step into that hole is thigh length downward.  Gary put a plastic step in there, but it wiggles too much when I step onto it. I would much rather go in backwards with my stomach on the bedroom floor.  

The cubby hole is a space over the garage. There are no lights in there, so I have to go in with a flashlight and gingerly step across the floor which is just a few pieces of plywood that creak under my weight. Somewhere down there is the concrete garage floor.

I take along the cell phone set to 911 in case I get in trouble.

I kept thinking there would be some kind of accident, but in fact it happened while I was asleep.  There was a mirror affixed to the cubby hole door that fell off and smashed.

Seven years of bad luck?  Or not?  I didn't actually break the mirror, but perhaps it was all the opening and closing that loosened the glass from it's backing. If I didn't break it but it was my fault, does that count?

So tomorrow, I'll get a strong pair of work gloves, clear up the broken glass and continue climbing in and out of that cubby hole.

I'm not superstitious. There is no such thing as bad luck. On the other hand, if I break my leg, if I fall through the plywood floor, if I electrocute myself while working on the lights....it was probably the mirror that did it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment