Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Christmas at the Retirement Home

I performed at a retirement community today. It was a beautiful place, decorated from ceiling to floor with Christmas decor.  There were lighted trees in all the lounges and a big one in the lobby where I performed. Christmas music was playing through the sound system.  I asked that it be turned off.

This likely was my last performance of the year.  I never get called for December gigs because there will be many groups coming in to sing Christmas carols: scouts, school classes, church volunteers. Every so often there will be a competent choir, but most of the time enthusiasm tries to make up for lack of talent. Sometimes the volunteers bring cookies and hand them around to everyone...even to the diabetics.  The staffs have to be ever vigilant.

Years ago, I had a performance at one of the nursing homes a couple of days after Christmas.  As I was setting up and tuning my autoharp, one of the residents asked, "Are you singing Christmas carols?"

"No," I said.  "I'm a storyteller."

"Good.  If I hear one more Christmas carol, I'll puke."

Residents of these homes are deluged with attention that one month of the year.  Then in January, no one comes to see them.  That's when I am called to do performances, to lift the spirits of the elderly.  I tell funny stories and do sing-a-longs, and some of the songs are a little naughty.  They like that.

Today, I told my story about the hired man who was hit with manure. There was the story of the dog's election. We sang "Sweet Violets" and "Lambing to the Wool".  Then there was the "King's Storyteller".

My audience was receptive and wanted me back...just not in December.




No comments:

Post a Comment