Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Walking in the Rain

Tonight Gary and I took a walk in the mist to wear off supper.  We sang Johnny Ray's 1950's song "Just Walking in the Rain" as we strolled along.  It really wasn't raining that hard, just a fine English mist on a warm evening.

Rain or no, I need to get back to walking.  Because of the hot summer, I didn't walk as much as I wanted to, only going out after dark when it was cool enough to walk a mile or two.  Later, I had a nose bleed problem that kept me close to home, near ice packs and tissues.

I felt such envy when my cousin and his friends hiked on the Pacific Crest Trail, managing 20 miles a day.

But now with my nose cauterized and cooler weather, I'm walking again and again, I am making strides on my imaginary trip around the world. Tonight I took out my map of Europe and marked the miles I walked over the summer.  I left Belgrade in May and it took me until this week to reach Budapest. I am 143 miles to Vienna.

Even with interruptions, I should make it to Vienna in a couple of months.  If I could get back to walking six or seven miles a day as I did in my prime, I could do it in a couple of weeks, but that isn't likely.

So I walk in the rain now and as the year comes to a close,  in the snow.






No comments:

Post a Comment