Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Farmers' Markets

Today was the last of Seymour's farmers' markets for the season.  Gary and I went over to buy some squash and bought both butternut and acorn varieties.  But that was only priming the pump.  I found parsnips, first I've seen this year.  The vendor started talking about preparing them by first boiling then frying them in butter.  But then Gary said, "We added maple syrup in Illinois," and I remembered that my father used to do that, too.  I consider it overkill because parsnips are sweet enough.

Gary bought some Roma tomatoes, and I told him that I had just finished using the last of tomatoes from my garden in soups and didn't want any more, but he wanted BLTs for supper. They went in the bag.

It was a lovely fall day so off we went to check the swamps for birds, but there were very few, just scattered juncos. We went to look at other farmers' markets in the area.  

By the time we came home, we had added a head of cabbage, two green peppers, two more squash, and broccoli.  I went out to the garden to dig up more onions and found out that the cherry tomatoes weren't done yet either.

The produce was wonderful but then I realized I don't have any more containers. Looks like I'll be shopping tomorrow, too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment