Monday, October 15, 2012

Coming in for the Winter

When the last of the produce comes in from the garden (today the onions), it's time for the critters to look for shelter.

In an old house like this there are so many places for mice to sneak in and in the thirty years I've lived here, that has been the case.  I could lay down mousetraps, but instead, I have a cat. If those little beasties only knew the truth, that old Rascal spends his days sleeping, that at night he is on my bed and not prowling, they would party on in the kitchen. I think it is the smell of kitty litter that keeps then at bay.

It is also the time when the spiders seem to be craving warmth.  I find them all over the house. I don't mind them most of the time, but it's now spider bite time. I can't seem to get through a single day with a painful bite on some part of my anatomy.  Gary told me to apply a drop of ammonia, and it seems to work.

The critter that takes up the most room is Gary.  He has left the forests for the winter and wanders around saying, "Where's the lake?  There should be a lake!"   For the past week, he has been putting away camping gear.  Until the end of October, he will be repairing tools, sewing up jackets, polishing lamp glass.  In November, he will begin looking at camping magazines. Stacks of these show up in the bathroom.

I know of one wife who hides the magazines to get her husband's attention.  

In December, Gary will hint about holiday presents related to camping.

In January, we'll be at the RV/Camping Show.  In February, it's Canoecopia in Madison.  In both shows, we'll pick up brochures and maps about possible summer destinations. With any luck, he doesn't buy a new camper or a fifth canoe.

In March, we may have some sunny days to go look at campsites.  This past March we actually were able to get the canoe out on the Wolf River.  By April, Gary will be convincing me that no matter what the weather, we ought to get the camper cleaned out.  If nothing else, we can sit on lawn chairs in front of it at the Manzke farm and dream.

Then comes May and my critter of a man will disappear into the forests again.

May the spiders go with him.


No comments:

Post a Comment