Monday, October 29, 2012

Proof

There are red letter days that you mark on your calendar and like to look back on.  Today was one of those days.  Wade and I met at the Copper Rock North coffee shop at 1:00 pm.  He had our book proof ready.  With only three minor problems, it was ready to go to press.  As I type this, I have the book beside.  I keep looking at it with admiration for the work that we have done.  The cover is simple but gets the idea across. 


I am so delighted with it I can't stop forcing others to look at it. 

One of the first was Ben, the manager at Copper Rock North.  For years now, he has allowed us to sit for hours talking about our writing with only a cup of coffee or tea in payment.  Like J.K Rowling before us, we think we have found the perfect coffee shop.  

I showed Ben one of our acknowledgements:  "A special space thank you to Ben at Copper Rock North coffee house for providing the space and caffeine required for writing."  

When I got back to Seymour I took it to Sissy's so that Donna and Pat could admire it.  We'll be there on November 14 at 5:00 pm for a book signing. They thought it was great, too, and glanced at the stories.  Donna cracked up when she caught sight of the opening sentence of the third short story:  "I caught herpes on a sandbar in the Peshtigo River."  

Next I took the book over to the Muehl Public Library to show around.  I couldn't help myself.  I am hoping a copy or two ends up on the library's shelves.  

Finally I showed the book to Gary.  No big enthusiasm but that is typical.  He knows what I do, but until we sell several thousand copies and make enough money to spend on more camping gear, he doesn't care.  It doesn't matter. I am thrilled with the book and that is good enough. 


No comments:

Post a Comment