Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Shocking Event


Today, a post from a guest, Gary.  He mostly got it right though he exaggerated the snoring...maybe.  I didn't know anything about the mouse until I woke up this morning to find everything strewn about.
Colleen

About 10:45 last night, whilst I was seeking to become the world’s greatest computer solitaire ace, Colleen called me from her snug bunk in the north end of the trailer, “I hear voices out there. Is somebody moving in?”
 
I wandered to that end of the trailer and cast my shell-like little ears about. Sure enough, voices.

Poked my head out the door and ,“Behold, bright lights along the shore to da nort’!” AND they were moving. SPACECRAFT!?
 
A moment’s cogitation yielded the conclusion that it was a Michigan Department of Natural Resources shocking crew headed south sticking about 50 feet from shore where the depth averages about 12 feet.

Headed down towards our little beach and soon I could hear the clicks as the generator discharged.They were apparently surveying walleye and there must have been a scoop net at the rear of the rig. I was standing on the shore as they went by but it was blacker than the inside of a cow and the six car headlights on the front were so bright that it was hard to discern any details. They passed on down the shoreline and silence once more descended upon us.
 
Here is the website for MDNR electrofishing surveys.
 
About 2:30 I woke to the sound of a nocturnal gnawer.  “Shit, a mouse is eating the trailer wiring and the trailer will burn up!”

Colleen was blissfully  and lustily snoring so I found it rather difficult to track the little bastard down. (I expected to see a moose or two outside, looking about expectantly.) Soooo, I just started pulling stuff out of the usual places,i.e., storage spaces near the floor. A cessation of gnawing sounds sent me back to bed. (Colleen had not been disturbed.)

Ten minutes later, he was back at it! Cleaned out rest of likely spaces, shone light into crannies and thumped about.

Back to bed. Blessed silence, except for Colleen, of course.

Just getting comfy when a couple of coyotes began to serenade me from across the lake . . .they didn’t last long though.  Finally got to sleep.
 
Life in the fast lane.

1 comment: