Saturday, August 18, 2012

Plain Tired

In all the times I've driven up to the national forests to join Gary at some campground, it's been a smooth ride. I  stop at Bonduel to buy fruit and bread at the Kwik Trip, at the Lakewood Super Valu for their sandwich spreads, at the Townsend Shell station for ice cream, and at the thrift shop in Wabeno for whatever clothes I remember I might need.  Then it's on to the campground.

Since my trip to the emergency room, I haven't come back to full peppiness.  Today exhaustion kept coming on and finally, just south of Laona, I had to pull off at a historic site to take a brief nap.  I never miss an historic site, so I knew what this one was all about.  The Laona schools were the first in the United States to purchased land to plant trees.  The eighty acre plot had been denuded of all trees at the end of the nineteenth century. The students planted and today their forest is grown and thriving.

What I didn't know was that the Laona train went through the area.  It's an historic steam train that once hauled lumber through the north wood and now hauls tourists. A steam engine has an amazing and thunderous whistle, so after only ten minutes of napping, I was up and driving again.

I reached Lake Ottawa in time to be greeted by a rainstorm, which suited me.  Gary had the bed prepared and I tumbled in for a long, long nap.

Tonight, it's ice cream followed by hot chocolate as we listen to the rain on the camper.  In another hour, it's  back to bed.

Tomorrow, a proper forecast and time on the lake in August sunshine.

I will recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment