Thursday, August 16, 2012

Why I Live Here

Gary talks about moving us to a place on a lake near the Michigan border.  I say fine, but there are some conditions that have to be met....and I know they can't be.

First, I want an awesome library and I've never seen any up north to compare to the Muehl Public Library here in Seymour.  (I'll be there giving a talk about my travels tomorrow at noon.) The Seymour library is part of the Outagamie Waupaca Library System so I can get books from dozens of libraries as well as hook into the digital library.  

Second, I want places to walk or hike. Gary's lake place will probably be one of dozens of homes and that means one can't walk around the lake, only on a country road that can be dangerous for walkers like me.

Third, I like to swim.  Gary's lake will be too cold until mid-June and after mid-September.  Here in Seymour we have a year round aquatic center.

Fourth,  I like to garden. The growing season at the Michigan border is about a month shorter.  For the first time, I am growing things like okra as global warming progresses.  And I hate long winters.

Fifth, Gary and I are both 68. He has some health issues.  Overall I am healthy, but I certainly found the value of a good EMT squad when I had that bloody nose three days ago.  The ambulance was here ten minutes after I called. The EMTs treated me royally. It was only fifteen miles to a good hospital and it was only one that I could choose from.  There are four hospitals in Green Bay and two more in Appleton.  Seymour has four clinics with a fourth in nearby Black Creek. There are dentists, too.

Finally, we have friends and family here.  What price neighbors who told me they would have come running if they knew I was in trouble? I would never have agreed to bleeding all over their cars, but it was good to know they are around when we need help, especially as we reach the point of needing someone to drive us where we need to go.

And how could I leave my son, his wife and my grandson behind?

I would rather make this house our home base and travel to many lakes each summer.   

No comments:

Post a Comment