Sunday, August 19, 2012

Recuperation


After we were last camping together, Gary packed up everything and moved to Lake Ottawa in the Ottawa National Forest, leaving the Lost Lake mice behind.  It is one way of solving a rodent problem. I picture them leaping from the camper as he pulled away from site 23.  Here in the UP we have only "bumble birds", his name for hummingbirds, to contend with.  He is cheerfully moving things around the new cook tent as I type this.

As for me, my blood loss and subsequent cold have left me wandering in a mental haze.  Back in Seymour, anything I tried to accomplish took hours longer than necessary. I am moving my finances from a bank that is too big to fail (so I'm giving them a hand) to an account at a local bank.  I wanted to set up bill payments on line from my account. After two days, I gave up and sent checks out to my creditors. When was the last time I used a check for anything? I can't remember but it was easier than trying to get through the electronic system.

Our friend Marty, a "troll" from lower Michigan camping here with Linda and their nephew Brandon, has the same affliction. He says it takes him over a week to recover from a nose bleed.  He has his cauterized every six years.  

Gary pointed out that when I lost blood from my nose some of it came from my brain which explains my befuddlement. I told him I now understood what men feel like when their brains cease to function when they are aroused. 

On the plus side, my dreams have been interesting. In last night's episode, my sisters whom I seldom see these days arrived at my house to celebrate my mother's birthday, my mother who has been dead since the end of the last century. I had nothing to say to them so kept escaping to my basement, my musty old basement, the end of which, in my dream, was in a golden glow facing a beach and a setting sun. But no, I had to celebrate my mother's birthday so up the creaking old steps I would go again to the living room where we all sat in a circle of chairs and stared at each other until down the stairs I would go again to get something from the freezer or find presents or some other excuse but really to breath in the sea air and soak up the sun.

Make of all that as you will. I am too exhausted to care! I will spend the next few days soaking up the real sun at the edge of Lake Ottawa and resting.

(Upers call those who live in lower Michigan trolls because they live under the Mackinac Bridge.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment