Saturday, July 7, 2012

Pacific Crest Trail

My cousin Charles, his partner Sean, and their friend Chris are hiking the Pacific Crest Trail this summer. The Pacific Crest Trail (or PCT) is a 2,663 mile hiking trail that runs from the US border with Mexico in the south, through California, Oregon, and Washington to its end in British Columbia, Canada.  In elevation it ranges from sea level at the Oregon-Washington border to 13,153 feet at Forester Pass.  It goes through 25 national forests and 7 national parks, almost always in wilderness.  

The three have been recording their adventures on their blog http://3gaycaballeros.blogspot.com/

I've been following their passage on maps I've downloaded from the Internet and printed out and tacked to my bulletin board.  It isn't easy hiking 2,663. They started out in 100 degree heat that stayed with them for a couple of weeks through the Mojave Desert.  In the High Sierras, they waded through snow.  They ran into some blow down, meaning they had to crawl over trees to keep going. (I've done that myself on the Lauterman Trail in the Nicolet National Forest, so I know how tiring that can be.)  They have been plagued by mosquitoes. They suffered through blisters, shin splints and groin pulls. They've hiked over a thousand miles and have just passed Lake Tahoe.


From time to time, they can't post on their blog when they get out of cell phone range. During those times, I worry about them and wonder if they are lost, hurt or in danger, but then they are back with several days of reports and I rest easy.  I check the National Forest Service notices to see what lies ahead.  


I've ordered books about the trail and am currently reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed, about her PCT solo trek in the early 1990's, just two years after the trail was completed.  Back then she went through days and days without seeing anyone, but these days there are hundreds of hikers.  Charles and his friends have made so many friends along the way though the crowd seems to have thinned out as novices discover how difficult the PCT is. There are "trail angels", volunteers who wait at various points along the trail with water, beer,and snacks.

Still, Strayed gives me a good description of the PCT.  Her book, plus the blog, are making me want to hit the trails again.  I've been on the North Country Trail that goes through the Midwest and on the Appalachian Trail. (I read Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods about the AT.)  Both were short jaunts for a few hours, but I got a taste of what it would be like.

I think I could handle the walk, but with my arthritic knees, the backpack would be the problem.  At the very least, the contents of a backpack would weight 35 lbs.  That is much weight would be too much.  I try to convince Gary that I could "slackpack" the Appalachian or North Country Trails, carrying just enough for a day, if he were willing to meet me at junctions of trail and highways and take me off to motels or campgrounds for the nights.  So far, he's not buying it.  My son Chris suggested I call Rent-a-Sherpa.

Fact is, I'm probably too old.  Still, I can dream.  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment