Thursday, July 5, 2012

Horoscope and Good News

I'm enrolled in the Muehl Public Library's adult summer reading program.  Each year, we older readers get to participate in a lovely tradition.  I so enjoy reading books then taking my card to the library to have it initialed.  It makes me feel young again.

This year's adult theme is "Under the Covers" and besides books, includes going on local adventures, such as  attending the grand opening of our new museum, the farmers market, or Music in the Park.  I must have a photo taken of me reading a book in bed which will be posted at the library.

One of the twelve tasks is to read my horoscope and take it to the library.  I don't take a newspaper and don't believe in horoscopes, but I printed one out from a website.  This is what it said:

You are eager to discuss your thoughts and plans with others at this time and you may have a very fruitful brainstorming session, a spirited debate, or a very active meeting with others in which things really get accomplished.  You are verbally assertive and can present your own plan or idea quite convincingly.

When I printed out the horoscope, I wasn't really thinking about the rest of the day, but it happens that Wade and I met to discuss Black Coffee Fiction  http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com our weekly short story blog.  Wade brought his latest story, which will be posted tomorrow to be critiqued, but it was already in good shape.

I picked out the story I will post a week from tomorrow and must polish before I leave on the Canadian tour.

Just like the horoscope predicted, we were brainstorming ideas for the e-mail and print collection of our stories we intend to publish at the end of September.  We selected the stories we intend to include and debated what needs to be done to polish them.  We decided to include a novella from each of us and save some of the stories for future collections.  In another year, we'll have enough stories for a joint Christmas collection, and I should have a separate book of love stories.

Indeed, it was a fruitful brainstorming session.  The highlight was Wade's announcement that he made his first writing sale.   "Daniel's Keep" was accepted by Encounters Magazine for their September issue. I was practically jumping up and down I was so excited for him.  Writers hang out together because when there is good news like this, we like to have others around who understand the long solitary hours that go into the success.  


Wade's second blog is "It's a Long Way to the Top" http://wadepeterson.wordpress.com in which he writes about his struggle to become a full fledged author.   As I told him, with this sale it is no longer that far to the top.

Maybe there is something in this horoscope thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment