Friday, July 6, 2012

Canadian Plans

In another week, Gary and I head out on our two-week circle of Lake Superior.  I have seven performances, six of them in Ontario.  We'll be camping as we go, but it will be a bit more complicated than the tour I did last summer, when I was on my own.

Back then, I had a simple tent that I paid $29.99 for over ten years ago. If it rained too hard, I slept in the car quite comfortably. I had two sleeping bags, one for cold weather, one for hot.   I had a one burner propane stove, a tea kettle and a pot, plus a spoon.  I used the spoon for stirring the pot and also as an eating utensil. I didn't bother with a cooler at all, mostly buying food as I needed it along the way.

This time, Gary is organizing the trip.  We will be using his van, which has a bed in it, though we also will have a four person tent which we will sleep in most of the time, depending on the weather.  The sleeping bags will go on a big air mattress.  He will set up a tarp for shade and of course, there must be folding chairs.

He is organizing food as well, though I keep telling him that Canadians do have grocery stores.  There is even a Walmart at Thunder Bay and another at Sault Ste Marie.  The shores of the big lake will be swarming with tourists.  Surely they must eat something!

No matter, he loves to plan, he loves to shop.  More and more gadgets arrive via UPS weekly, things he considers essential.  We'll have a GPS system, adapters for our computers, a cook stove, and many things I don't understand at all.  In other words:  toys.

I ignore all of that and concentrate on getting my storytelling costumes ready and tuning my autoharp.  I'll do the laundry the day before we go and pack the morning we leave.  My job is to earn the money through my craft, his will be to set up campsites and organize meals.  He'll have to do this over and over, but he loves setting up campsites.  My biggest concern will be to find wi fi so I can continue to post on this blog.

I'll let him have his fun and have mine in my own way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment