Sunday, July 8, 2012

Eeeeewwwww!

Yesterday, I pulled out all the pea vines which are no longer producing.  Underneath them I found more tomato plants, probably from seeds from old tomatoes that I missed last fall.  I have no idea what they would be but they could be Big Boy, Roma or cherry.  All told, I now have eighteen tomato plants that should be starting to produce by the end of July.   

This morning, I decided to pick the last romaine.  We'll be leaving on our Canadian trip on Thursday, so we should eat the lettuce before we go.  I pulled it out by the roots and took it on the lawn to cut off the roots and use the hose to rinse off the dirt in a colander.   That done, I took it into the kitchen to finish washing it.

I turned on the water, started rinsing and suddenly there were earwigs everywhere, crawling around the sink and on me.  EEEEEWWWW!   I squished some of the earwigs, then took the colander back outside to rinse off the rest of the bugs with a hose.

Up until three or four years ago, we never saw earwigs in Wisconsin.  Gary says he never even saw them in Illinois.  They were a southern bug, but they seem to be moving north.  They feed on vegetables, which is what they were doing in my vegetable garden.  I think they've been working on morning glories and sunflowers, too.  

Earwigs are one of the uglier bugs around.  I hate them.  It's irrational really, because they don't harm humans in any way. (No, they don't crawl into human ears and feast on brains.)  Unlike other insects, they tend to their young, feeding them. They usually live outdoors, but they can come inside and that's where we have a problem.

Earlier this week, I reached for my toothbush and a big earwig was sitting on it.

Enough is enough, we are working on eradicating them.












No comments:

Post a Comment