Monday, July 2, 2012

Monday

Another steamy day, at least in July where it belongs.  I started gardening early while it was still cool.

Once the peas are edible, we stop eating the asparagus.  I figure we have enough for a week and by then we'll start eating beans.  There are two "pregnant" zucchini.  The first flowers on the squash produce nothing but later on there will be a bulge under the blossom and that bulge will become a zucchini that we'll harvest after we get back from Canada. Around the same time, the pole beans will have climbed to the top their tower and there will be even more to eat.  

The tomatoes have been in flower for a week. The first tiny tomatoes have formed.  I have nine Roma, beefsteak and Rutgers plants in the vegetable garden, all from seeds I planted indoors in February and March.  There are three more Rutgers tomatoes in pots around the garden. Finally, there are three tomato plants that came up uninvited in the pea patch, probably from seeds dropped from last year's planting.  They could be Roma, Big Boy or cherry tomatoes.  We'll have to wait and see.   

Besides weeding this morning, I was cat wrangling.  My neighbor is gone and I am keeping an eye on Mittens and Koala.  Mittens is easy, he goes with me everywhere, but Koala has a mind of his own. 
In the cool morning, I let both of them out to explore.  By 10:00 I thought enough was enough, it was getting hot.  Mittens zoomed home just as I directed.  Koala hid in the gazebo and refused to do what I asked. He continued to refuse throughout the day.  I put a bowl of water out to keep him from dehydrating and tried to catch him every hour. 

Then Chris, Tisha and grandson Evan arrived to go swimming and took me with them to the aquatic center.  Gary would try the rest of the day to convince that stubborn Siamese in but had no better luck than me.  

It turned out that the smaller pool that Evan wanted to use was in use so we had to use the big pool with water over his head. He pouted at first, saying the water was too cold.   Then he started asking about the diving board.  Could he jump off?  Sure said Chris, if it's OK with the guards.  I think he thought they would nix the idea but no.  They put a life jacket on Evan.  He climbed up the ladder to the big board and without hesitation went right off into the diving well where his father waited to pull him out.  Evan doesn't swim well yet so that was a demonstration of either bravery or lack of fear, two widely different things.   Tisha tried not to watch.  

Not only did the little guy like diving, he went at it again and again.  I was so impressed. 

Later, we were able to get into the smaller pool where Evan, with only a suggestion from Chris, started doing underwater somersaults.  He was a fish, only opening his gills when absolutely necessary.  

A proud grandmother watched it with amazement.  Perhaps Evan, at age 7, has found his sport. 

Then it was pizza at Gallaghers and finally I came home.  I immediately went over to Elaine's and said in a very loud voice, "Last chance, Koala.  I'm tired and I'm going to bed."

The cat took the hint.  We are all locked in for the night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment