Monday, May 21, 2012

June Flowers in May

It has always been a rule in Wisconsin that we don't put seeds or plants in the ground until the Memorial Day weekend.  Last year we had snow and freezing rain for most of the month of May and thought nothing of it

This year, spring started in March.  By April, I was planting onions and peas and the perennials were coming on strong.

It's still a week to Memorial Day.  My vegetables are growing, including tomato plants.  I should have fresh peas by mid-June.

As for flowers, none of these should be blooming in May yet here they are.

Last year, I left on my western tour on June 17 and never saw the irises or blue monarda in bloom.  This year, the irises began blooming two weeks ago.
Neither did I see the chives flowers though the wild phlox were just beginning when I left.
And in the middle of a phlox patch, peonies are peeking through  When did that ever happen in May?
The poppies have taken over the gardens, so I will be digging over half of them up.  I hate throwing away good flowers so will put them out by the sidewalk with a sign saying "Free to a Good Home".  

But the big question is what will be growing the rest of the season?  





No comments:

Post a Comment