Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Imaginary trekking

Years ago, I began walking around the world...in my mind.  I headed west to Black Creek, six miles away and kept on going.  At first, I just walked around the United States, going south to Texas and then west to Arizona and the Grand Canyon.  By then it was in my mind to accumulate enough miles to walk around the world. 

On my imaginary walk, I've done 18,354 miles thus far.  Although I mostly walk here in Seymour, I keep track of the miles and mark them on maps.  I followed the west coast of the Pacific up to Alaska, crossed the Bering Strait, hiked through Russia and on to its former satellites. Today, I arrived in Belgrade in Serbia.    

It's 206 miles to Budapest,Hungary, using the roads on a map of Europe I ordered through the Internet.  Europe is so much smaller than Asia that I feel I am trotting right along.  

I am hoping to finish my walk by the time I turn 75.  One step after another.   
                                      ****
My grandmother was born on May 23.  My parents married on May 23.  My son Chris was born on May 23. And my long time pen pal Helene Machetot of Gien, France was born on May 23.  

A day to remember friends and family for sure.

Happy Birthday, Helene and Chris!


No comments:

Post a Comment