Sunday, April 8, 2012

Alone

Other than Rascal, I'm alone in the house.

This morning, Gary and I were up at 5:00 a.m. so that he could leave for Dixon and I could make scalloped potatoes and ham for Easter dinner before going to church. I decided that the best thing to do was cook everything then microwave it after church.   For good measure, I started a loaf of cracked wheat bread in the bread maker.  I cleaned the house a bit and then it was out to the garden to pick tulips, daffodils and cut some sprays of cherry blossoms for the bouquet of the week that goes to a member of the congregation.  I quickly hid plastic eggs containing candy and prizes around the house for Evan and it was time to go.

The church service went as expected, but long. Evan was there with Those People He Lives With. That's what Gary calls Chris and Tisha.  He was part of the flock of children that came up to the altar for the children's sermon and hunted for Easter eggs afterwards. There was a baptism and new members welcomed.

The choir did fine and I think there were eight hymns, which is our idea of a good service.

When we got home, the bread was done and it took only minutes to warm the dinner in the microwave. Evan found the eggs I hid then set the table.  He is getting to be a big helper.

But I'm afraid the lack of sleep finally caught up with me and I had to send my family home so I could crash.

When I woke up three hours later, I was alone, an odd feeling. Though Gary and I are often apart during the camping season, during the winter months, we are always in the house at night and most of the day.  We do so much together.  Now I am alone with an anxious cat who misses the master who spoils him with treats and petting. He is stuck with me and he is not not happy.

Fact is, we both enjoy having these times alone. I am looking forward to having quiet time to write. I am sure he is enjoying his time camping at his aunt's farm.

It works for both of us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment