Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Books

I've fallen in love with the Nook.  I take it with me wherever I go in case I can find a few minutes here or there to read yet another book.

I've bought a few e-books, but just as it was with paper books, I read the ones from the library system first because those have a due date.

I've just finished Catherine the Great,a Portrait of a Woman, by Robert K. Massie.  I'd read two of Massie's previous books Nicolas and Alexandria about the last of the Romanovs and Peter the Great, who was the first tsar to expand Russia to the Baltic Sea, giving the landlocked country its first access to the oceans of the world.  Catherine went farther and took the Crimea away from the Ottoman Turks, giving Mother Russia access to the Black Sea and beyond to the Mediterranean. Though I've known something about Catherine the Great all these years, this was the first time I read a biography.  I like strong women, and she was one of the strongest.  Great indeed.

Massie is a wonderful biographer so I couldn't put that book down. I've been waking up in the middle of the night to turn on the Nook and keep reading.

Next on my list is American Gods, by Neil Gaiman, and Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey, about the Countess of Carnavon who turned her estate into a hospital during WWI.  Because so many of my friends are interested in vampires, I've decided to read the books that started it all, Dracula, by Bram Stoker, and Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice.

As a matter of fact, I have fifteen books lined up, all in one little electronic book.

There's  tee shirt many librarians own that says, "So many books, so little time."  That describes me exactly.






No comments:

Post a Comment