Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Word Delivery Systems

After clearing another bed, I drove over to the farm where Gary stores the camper.  He is cleaning it out for our summer's adventures.  

He had the awning pulled out and underneath were comfortable chairs.  I sat down with my Nook and read more of Langston Hughes The Ways of White Folks, a collection of short stories from the 1930's.  These stories illustrate how the races view each other.  They are amusing and sometimes tragic. It seems that race relations have not changed all that much. When I finish the short stories, I'll start a Nevada Barr mystery, also in my electronic book.  

However, that is not the only word delivery system I use.  There are still the paper books, especially good when there are photos involved.  The People of the Sturgeon includes at least one photo per page.  I even know some of the people involved in the care of those giant fish.  I'll be reading this book right up to the time we go on guard duty on April 8. 

Then there are audio books.  I particularly like the Playaway books I get at the Muehl Public Library.  These are compact little cases that hang by a cord around my neck.  When I plug them into a headset, I can listen as I work out at the fitness center.  Listening to a book is preferable to the loud music that blares at us.  

Currently, I'm listening to Umberto Eco's The Prague Cemetery.   This is a grisly tale of conspiracy and espionage in nineteenth century Europe.  There are forgeries, massacres, racism, and plots galore.  It all sounds far-fetched, but in fact it all happened, as I know from listening to a previous Playaway book about the time period.  In this book, however, one fictional character is involved in it all, an evil genius who from time to time stops his plotting to enjoy good meals.  

As long as there are writers sending words my way, I don't mind how they arrive. 


No comments:

Post a Comment