Friday, March 23, 2012

One Big Idea

Director Mike Nichols once said that if he has a good idea, he quits for the day because he won't get another. I've found that that is true for me, too.

All this week, I knew it was my turn to write a short story for Black Coffee Fiction http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com but the week was so delightfully warm I wanted to be outside.  We gardened, we birded, we canoed.  I procrastinated, only making a few notes about my story and making an outline. I did have a second short story I could use in a pinch, but I want to save that for this summer when writing anything will be more difficult.

This morning, I woke up at 4:30 a.m. and wended my way down the stairs.  I fed the cat.  I ate breakfast.  I read the news.  Then I set to work.  It helped that it was raining so there was nothing going on outside to distract me, not even birds at the feeder.  

On Monday, I mentioned to Wade that though we have been writing our short stories since September, neither of us had written a love story. I asked him, "When did you know you loved your wife?"  That led me to my love story.

I thought about Gary and remembered so many events of our own romance.  I put bits and pieces of those memories together to write "Phenology: A Love Story".  I wrote the story in two hours, finishing about 8:30 a.m.  I put it aside, re-wrote it once and sent it off to the critique group for comments.

Gary and I went to the fitness center, then I took a nap to let the story simmer in my mind.  When I woke up I had Wade's comments and corrections and did the final re-write of the piece which I posted just before 4:00 p.m.  As you read the story, you can hear echoes of how Gary and I became a couple and how I learned to become an environmentalist as he educated me.

Once my story was posted, I did nothing but read and watch television.  I had my big idea and nothing else has been going on, brain-wise.

I plan on writing several more love stories, so tomorrow, I start again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment