Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Early Spring

Warm temperatures are making this an unusual March.  Crocuses, snowdrops, periwinkle,dwarf irises, and pasque flowers have been  blooming in my backyard for several days and the daffodils should pop open in a day or two.

Last year the snowdrops first bloomed on March 20, and were followed almost immediately by 18 inches of snow.  Periwinkle, pasque flower and dwarf iris didn't arrive until mid-April.

I walked over to the sidewalk north of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church this afternoon and found hundreds of violets.  Last year I didn't have violets in my back yard until May.

Last year, the sturgeon in the Wolf River/Lake Winnebago system spawned late. Gary and I found ourselves guarding their rocks in May.

As we do every year, Gary and I sign up for the first day of the guard which this year should have been April 15.  However, this afternoon, the Department of Natural Resources sent out an emergency e-mail to the sturgeon guards asking if we could guard on April 8, Easter.  Sure, we said.  We'll soon be spending the night on the river bank watching passionate sturgeon.  "Hello, ladies," I say every year to our friends.  

Finally, some of my readers might remember that last June I was forced to remove all the flowers in my terrace strip because someone had complained to the city.  It turned into a week long party with friends coming from all over to dig up the strip and move the flowers to new homes.  They are now all over northeast Wisconsin.  Gary roto-tilled the strip twice to make sure that all the flowers were gone.  And that, we thought, was that.

Then this week, greenery came up all over the strip.  Soon there will be tulips, hyacinths, daffodils and irises, and as of today, the crocuses are in bloom.


Should I let the flowers go or have Gary kill everything or brick it all over?  Friends and flower lovers are urging me to let them bloom.

Yes, this is a very early spring. There could easily be a snowstorm yet, but for the moment, we are in heaven.    



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the useful information. I really need this topic to share with my friends. I will be back to explore more good topics here at the same time, topics that I can use. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete