Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Journey Goes On.





On October 19, 2010, I sat in Nikki Kallio's class on blogging. The first thing I did was to post this photo with the caption, "The Journey Begins".


Years ago, I had a weekly newspaper column.  Back then, people asked me, "How do you come up with a subject every week?" Sometimes it seemed next to impossible, but I kept at it.

Now I have this blog. I've posted every day with three exceptions since I started. Some nights it takes me a while to start typing, but I usually have something on my mind:  politics, the environment, my family, my craft.  This blog has become the journal of my life. As I progressed, I wrote longer and more thoughtful pieces.

As of tomorrow, I will have had 15,000 "hits" from people all around the world.  I have readers in every continent except Antarctica. (And maybe those in Antarctica get on line through some other country, I don't know.)

With Wade Peterson, I started writing short stories at Black Coffee Fiction.  There, too, I realized that the more I wrote, the better my writing.  Before we began, I might finish two or three short stories a year.  Now I can churn one out every other week.  Are they any good?  I don't know, but again, people are reading them.

What I have found out is that the more I write, the easier it becomes.  I now know how Stephen King and others who write so many novels do it.  Just one word after another until the job gets done.










1 comment:

  1. I've learned from Black Coffee Fiction that rather than spending months polishing my latest story, the best story I can write is the next one.

    ReplyDelete